Where am I

miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2011

Visiting the biggest lake and a waterfall in Honduras

The beautiful Pulhapanzak Falls is 20 min. by bus from Peña Blanca is the highest waterfall in Honduras and quite impressive. The bus from Los Mochis can also take you the falls, it will pick you up by the dirtroad to D&D (more about D&D further down), direction San Pedro Sula. Tell the helper on the bus that you want to go to the waterfall and they will let you off by the road up to the park and point you in the right direction. If you do not know the Spanish word do not worry, tourists get of either there or in San Pedro Sula so I am sure they will understand where you want to go. The waterfall is a short but hot walk from the main road, or you can get a taxi. At the fall there is a resturant some guides and activities. You can get a tour inside /behind the fall, swim in the pool that forms above the waterfall, be careful, some places are deep, but it is amazing for cooling down when the heat is on.     


At Lago de Yojoa the biggest lake in Honduras (89 km2), I stayed at D&D Bed and Breakfast and Micro Brewery owned by a young man from USA. He had already lived and worked in Honduras for 5 years when he discovered Peña Blanca and decided to stay. D&D stands for Dale and Dog, but I never saw a dog there. Bobby (Robert Dale) has his own brewery at the place where he experiments with different tastes of beer. He has, among other flavours, apricot beer! I am not knowlegeable about beer, but the second day I was at his place, some USA soldiers, that have their base nearby, visited the place to eat, and have some homebrewed beer, kept buying beer for me and 2 German girls that I went to the waterfall on the picture with the same day. I do not like beer to begin with, so I can not judge, but I know that his beer and place is very popular, and has a steady stream of travelers and locals. D&D is famous in the area, so getting of the bus in Peña Blanca (1,5 h. - 2 h. from San Pedro Sula and 3 h. - 4 h. (because the buses are unbeliveably slow. It is not so far in distance) from Comayagua), all you have to do is ask for D&D and the locals will tell you where to wait for a collectivo taxi (in which you will sit crammed together with as many as they can fit in the car for 5 lempiras (50 cent, ca. NKr. 3)). Or if you are on a bus to Los Mochis (most likely a chickenbus), you just have to ask them to drop you off at D&D. Walk up the small dirtroad, and you will see it. D&D offers everything from jacusicabana (750 lempiras (Lps)) to cheap dormbeds for 100 Lps. And of course beer! They also have a meny, not many dishes on the meny, but the blueberry pancake for breakfast was my favourite. The homemade burritos and kebab is also worth it, and he has a beautiful garden where I observed 3 species of hummingbirdsand weird insects. Even if D&D is located in a communety 3 km. outside Peña Blanca, staying there acctually gives better access Lago de Yojoa (Lake Yojoa). If you should ever find yourself in Honduras, it is SO worth it seeing other places than Copan and Utila. Most people miss out on a lot, and it seem to me that many people are also afraid of Honduras. They rather follow the tourist trail to Copan and Rotan and /or Utila and then get out of the country. I also had that fear, because I got robbed and heard stories, but I decided to not let that dictate my travel. And I have to tell you, that the day I swam in the lake, I thought to myself; I feel sorry for the travelers coming to Honduras never seeing this lake! It has been a long time favourite among bird lovers because it has been recorded 375 species of birds around the lake. I myself saw cranes, ibis, snail kites and various ducks, and went swimming in this wonderful, sometimes mist-shoruded, lake. I thought Lago Atitlan was beautiful, but I must say (even if Lake Yojoa lacks the vulcanos) that Lake Yojoas pristine and pure natural surroundings with the Santa Barbara mountains and quietness was much more revarding. There are no motorboats, no villages in sight. I had the feeling of venuring to an almost utouched area. It might change in the future because it will become a tourist hot spot, but hopefully it will stay the way it is for a long time. In the area there are of course 2 national parks; Cerro Azul Meámbar and Santa Bárbara, as well as the 2 eco-archaeological parks; Lenca and Los Naranjos, and the impressive Pulhapanzak Falls. From D&D it is only a 15-20 min. walk to the canal where you can rent a rowboat (and prefereably a rower since it is very hard to do the rowing on your own, it is also a bit far to the lake. The heat makes it twice as hard) to go rowing and swimming in the lake it is the best way to see the lake because if you are not on it you will not see the beautiful mountainviews revealing themselves as the lake opens up at the end of the canal. It is beautiful also at sunset and sunrise. If like you like fishing then the lake is a perfect place to catch brass, and you can get a guide from D&D to take you.

                                 Lenca eco-park and paradise. Coffe and flowers.

                                Lenca eco-park
                                Lake above the waterfall where we swam.
                                             Pulhapanzak Falls


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario